The presentation of the Octa automatic movement by F.P.Journe in 2001 has marked a turning point in watchmaking. The calibre has undergone only three evolutions during its 20 years of operation. The most recent one concerns the winding automation system. It has moved from bi-directional to unidirectional winding, which is more efficient to guarantee the rapid tensioning of the long spring of the barrel.
For François-Paul Journe, since the launch and minimal modifications, the Octa has proven its precision and endurance and as he states: “The Octa is an accomplished movement that requires no further modification due to its almost unreal performance.”
To celebrate its 20th anniversary, F.P.Journe presents the Automatique in a limited series of 99 pieces, with, for those nostalgic of the early years, a case in platinum of 40 mm powered with the calibre 1300.3 in rhodium-plated Brass, and a satin-finished dial in yellow gold, similar to those produced in 2001 when François-Paul Journe finished them by hand.
The power reserve indicator has been moved down slightly to leave more space for the enlarged date, displayed in a window now measuring 4.7 x 2.6 mm for easier legibility. The numerals of the hour and minute dial have also been enlarged. Only one slight aesthetical modification has been made to the movement, now decorated with openwork bridges; this will be a feature as of 2021 on all 1300.3 calibres.
This Limited Series is available at the 10 F.P.Journe Boutiques and Espaces. The Automatique will later join the current collection with a 40 or 42 mm case in Platinum or 18K 6N Gold, and a dial in Gold and guilloché Silver.
- Movement – F.P.Journe automatic calibre 1300.3 in rhodied Brass Rotor in 22K 5N Gold, off centre and guilloché Monodirectional winding
- Dimensions of the movement – Overall diameter: 34.60 mm Casing-up diameter: 30.40 mm Overall height: 5.95 mm Height of winding system: 3.10 mm Diameter of stem thread: S1.20 mm
- Balance – Balance with four adjustable inertia weights Anachron flat balance spring Mobile stud holder Free-sprung Nivatronic laser soldered balance spring Pinned GE stud Slipping mainspring Frequency: 21,600v/h (3Hz) Inertia: 10.10 mg*cm2 Angle of lift: 52° Amplitude: 12h dial up: >280° 90 h dial up: >220°
- Main Characteristics – Mono directional automatic winding Instantaneous date change Three position crown Correction of the date, position 2, anti-clock wise, Correction of the time, position 3
- Escapement – Linear lever escapement 15 teeth
- Indications – Off centre hours – minutes – small second Large date in aperture in 2 windows at 11h30 Power reserve at 8h30
- Autonomy – 160 +/-12 hours Winding speed: 274 rotations / 24 hours
- Finishing – Graining on base plate Circular Côtes de Genève on bridges Rhodied base plate and bridges Golden engravings Polished screw heads with chamfered slots Pegs with polished rounded ends Steel components hand polished and chamfered
- Case – Platinum PT 950 Diameter: 40 mm Height: 10.07 mm
- Dial – Yellow Gold and Silver Steel circle fixing the hour dial
- Number of parts – Movement without dial: 260 Cased up on leather strap: 301 Jewels: 37