The Metropolitan Club
One of the most grand establishments in New York, founded in 1891
The Metropolitan Club of New York is a private social club on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. It was founded as a gentlemen's club in 1891 for men only by J. P. Morgan, who served as its first president.
The architects of the original building (erected in 1893) were McKim, Mead & White. The east wing, erected in 1912, was designed by Ogden Codman Jr. Its 1894 clubhouse, designed by Stanford White, stands at 1 East 60th Street, on the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue.
At the The Metropolitan Club of New York business attire (ties and jackets) are still required to this day. Additionally, no cell phones or laptops are allowed. The club has had an ongoing involvement in the social scene, including fundraising, black tie balls, and sports.
We offer a holistic suite of global lifestyle management and asset brokerage services for our discerning clientele